As we all know that Cape Town has suffered from drought in the past months, as a Joburger I think it is wise to be water wise in support of our fellow Capetonians. Compiled a list of 17 Tips on how to save water in and around your home.
My daughter’s school recently asked us to donate 5 Litre of bottled water and they will be sent down to schools in Cape town.
After all it is the humane thing to do as if any of us were to be in their shoes we would seek aid from them as well.
17 Tips on How to Save Water In and Around Your Home
1. Make sure the faucets are closed tightly each time inside the house as well as outside the house.
2. Leave lawn clippings on your grass, this cools the ground and holds moisture.
3. Don’t let used water go down the drain, find ways to recycle around your home
4. Cook one pot meals as they are easy to prepare and mean fewer dishes to wash
5. Select the correct size pan for cooking . Large pans may require more cooking water than necessary.
6. Adjust your sprinklers so that they don’t water the sidewalk or street.
7. Another option is to consider buying dual-flush toilet. It has two flush options a half-flush for liquid and full -flush for solids. (Again only if you can financially do so )
8. Aerate your lawn periodically. Holes 15cm will allow water to reach the roots, rather than run off the surface.
9. Steaming food requires significantly less water than boiling and this method of cooking preserves more nutrients in the food.
10. While you wait for the hot water, collect the running water and use it around the household for plants, mopping the floor etc.
11. Do your due diligent to monitor your water bill for usually high use . Your water meter and bill are tools that can help you discover leaks.
12. Take shorter showers to reduce water use. This can also lower your water and heating bills too
13. Not everyone owns a dishwasher so when washing by hand , don’t let the water run. Fill one basin for washing and the other with rinsing water.
14. If you have pets when you give your pet fresh water, don’t throw the old water down the drain find ways you can re-use it by watering your plants and more.
15. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving.
16. Before you let used water swirl down the drain , find ways you can recycle it in and around your home.
17. Fertilisers promote plant growth but bear in mind that , they also increase water consumption. Apply the minimum amount if you need too.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.- Mahatma Gandhi
Thank you for tuning in for some water saving tips and come back again for more in the near future.