I received a wellness box from Nestle South Africa to encourage my family and I to choose wellness and incorporate it into our lifestyle. I honestly found the information provided on how to decipher food labels extremely helpful. Nestle shares amazing wellness tips with you below.
- Start encouraging everyone in the family to drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, before breakfast.
- Pack water bottles, so that everyone can take one to school or work. Keep it interesting by adding sliced lemons, oranges or watermelon.
- Enjoy fruits and vegetables that have a high natural water content such as watermelon, oranges, cucumber or tomatoes.
Eat more fibre
- As a family, enjoy wholegrain cereals such as Nestlé MILO cereal, oats or baked beans on wholegrain toast for breakfast
- Try including legumes where possible i.e. add hummus to sandwiches or add mixed beans to salad
- Provide fruit as snacks and at meal times fill half of everyone’s plates with vegetables or salad – aim to enjoy 5 veggies and fruits a day
Limit salt, saturated fat and sugar
- Consider purchasing products which have the Heart Mark, such as NESTLÉ IDEAL Unsweetened Evaporated Milk. It’s a guaranteed way to buy food lower in salt, lower in sugar, lower in saturated fats, and higher in fibre.
- Ditch fast foods as these have high sodium and saturated fats. Instead, cook fresh balanced family meals which include vegetables, lean proteins and grains or starches.
- Skip adding salt when cooking. Remove the shaker from the dinner table and replace with fresh herbs and spices. Try garlic, no added salt tomato paste, lemon juice or vinegar to flavour your food.
- In sandwiches, use canned fish or cook a little extra meat or chicken when preparing your main meal, instead of deli meats as these have high salt and saturated fats.
- Limit sugary drinks and avoid adding more sugar to foods i.e. cereals.
Reduce your portion sizes
- Help limit portion sizes by plating up your family’s meals. Remember that ½ plate should include vegetables, ¼ plate lean protein and ¼ plate grains/starches.
- Swop large dinner plates with smaller side plates as this can also help reduce your portion sizes
As a family try and commit to doing one fun physical activity together a week so that exercise can become more of a fun tradition and less of a chore. Choose activities that the whole family can get involved with, such as a hiking trip, a game of cricket at the park or going on a bike ride. These activities will not only help your families’ health but can also create life long memories.
The wellness box included:
- Simple wellness tips* – with corresponding Nestlé products and items to encourage you and your family to live better.
- A heart shaped puzzle magnet – encourage your daughter to put the puzzle together and read out each piece to learn the great tips, it’s never too early to start developing healthy habits. Once completed, stick puzzle on the fridge as a daily wellness reminder.
- A delicious recipe for you to enjoy with your family – find recipe attached with image.
- Skipping rope- to help my family move more.
- Measuring Cup- to help with portion control.